Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our six health and wellness locations, six child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Head Skate Instructor (Part Time)
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton
Start Date: November, 2023
Salary: $19.46/hour - $21.63/hour
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
· Program discounts;
· Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
· Leadership award opportunities;
· Scholarship opportunities;
· Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following;
· National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) and/or Can Skate Certification would be considered an asset
· Customer Service experiences
· Supervisory experience considered an asset
· Ability to manage and adjust to changing environment
· 3-5 years’ experience teaching skate lessons to children and youth
· Current First Aid and CPR C certification (CPR recertified within the last 12 months)
· Evidence of a clear criminal record check with vulnerable sector search
· Three professional references required
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
The Head Skate Instructor will:
· Provide leadership to instructors and members and non-members participating in registered programs or drop-in activities including public skate, Sticks & Pucks and Open Skate;
· Maintain a safe environment by following policies & procedures to manage risks associated with skating experiences;
· Lead a team of instructors and volunteers to ensure that programs offer an introduction to participants in physical literacy by building fundamental movement skills though skating programs;
· Contribute to a positive team culture by supporting an inclusive environment for staff and volunteers;
· Support the administrative systems required for skating programs & services including waivers, program schedules and class lists;
· Collaborate with members from other teams to provide positive experiences for children, youth and families.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
· Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview. This posting will close when a suitable candidate is found.
All applications are to be submitted online but for any position specific concerns or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton