Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior P&C Commissioning Engineer
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Annual Salary: $ 103,900.00 - 131,400.00
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
The Protection, Control and Telecommunications Engineering Division is responsible for engineering BC Hydro’s P&C and Telecom systems & networks. These systems contribute to a safe and reliable operation of BC Hydro’s electric system while meeting the performance requirements of system planners, regulators, customers, and other stakeholders. The division contributes to engineering studies, specifications, standards, design solutions, construction documentation, and provides engineering oversight of work done by our engineering service partners. It provides technical support during procurement, construction, testing and commissioning in the project lifecycle. The division is also responsible for deploying and sustaining numerous regulatory standards, including cyber security standards and compliance practices for Industrial Control Systems (ICS) and telecommunication systems.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for Senior Commissioning Engineer position in the P&C Project Engineering and Commissioning team within the P&C/Telecom Engineering Division.
Note that this position will be required to work in the Edmonds office with only occasional travel to site.
In the Commissioning Engineering role, the Senior Engineer will:
* Act as a Subject Matter Expert on P&C Commissioning activities to projects
* Act as a Professional of Record for commissioning results
* Lead testing and commissioning of specialized P&C systems and equipment
* Prepare commissioning plans for complex P&C systems
* Perform commissioning review and acceptance for P&C and Teleprotection deliverables
* Oversight of P&C commissioning activities
* Participate in constructability reviews and staging plans of P&C work
* Provide support to field commissioning resources
* Establish and maintain commissioning standards and practices
The key accountabilities for the Senior Engineer are:
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications for BC Hydro projects and operations.
* Assist project and functional managers to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by reviewing resource and task assignments, managing the scope and schedule of projects, and establishing design and review plans
* Provide technical leadership and act as an expert technical resource responsible for providing professional/technical advice in programs, projects, and initiatives within and outside the department.
* Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
* Support the Team Lead in the development and implementation of employee training and development program to maintain/cultivate the required skills and expertise within the Team. Fosters collaboration and knowledge transfer, coaching and mentoring, and organizational awareness.
* Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
* Chair meetings to address engineering problems, attends and addresses seminars, courses, meetings, and conferences, and prepares and delivers presentations to various audiences.
* Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro design practices.
* Peer review work of other engineers or designers to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, and adherence to EGBC and NERC practices
* Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertakes field reviews as required by EGBC.
* Coordinate technical work activities, provides instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers, project, technical and administrative staff.
* Act as "Owner's Engineer", review external service providers' engineering designs to ensure technical compliance to BC Hydro Standards, good design practices and constructability requirements.
* Maintain complete commissioning documentation with respect to the Transmission Stations P&C and Teleprotection commissioning processes, including all relevant coversheets, field records and key documents
* Fulfill functional role of subject matter expert on specialized P&C Systems and/or equipment,
* Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by Canadian Universities. Preferred areas of study include computer engineering, control systems, telecommunications, systems engineering, or power engineering.
* Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC). The individual shall be proficient with EGBC quality management guidelines, continuing education requirements and code of ethics.
* A minimum of 8 years of progressive and comprehensive engineering experience in transmission power systems, industrial control systems, telecommunication networks, cybersecurity, or systems engineering.
* Candidates with lower qualifications may be considered and evaluated for placement in associated positions at a lower level.
* Strong experience in P&C systems and commissioning experience is an asset
* Proactive in ongoing professional and personal development activities such as self-study, attendance at technical and administrative courses and participation in technical and professional societies.
* Excellent leadership, communications (verbal and written), technical writing, interpersonal, and presentation skills are required.
* Good understanding of project and task management processes.
* Prior experience with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Access, and software for data analytics is preferred.
* Excellent organizational and management skills. Must be a self-starter.
- A comprehensive benefits package
- A minimum of 15 paid vacation days
- A lifetime pension
- Flexible work model, depending on your role type
- Training and development courses
For more information on the benefits we offer, visit bchydro.com/benefits.
* The successful candidate will be required to work at the BC Hydro Edmonds office in Burnaby, BC a minimum of three days per week.
* A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
* Applicants who do not meet full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for a lower level position.
* You will be joining a team of inclusive, collaborative, and motivated people in a working environment that focusses on developing its employees. We have structured training plans to ensure a wide array of technical skillsets are developed and dynamic opportunities are provided to each team member to deepen areas of expertise.
* Due to ongoing recruitment and changes in the division, more opportunities may become available
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada V3N 4X8
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 4, 2024.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week