Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our six health and wellness locations, six child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Strength & Conditioning Instructor and Personal Trainer (Full Time)
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton
Start Date: Immediately
Salary: $34,112.00/year - $40,896.00/year
Please note hours will be 5:15am - 1:45pm.
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
· Comprehensive health and dental benefits. Premiums paid in full by the Association;
· Pension or student loan repayment plan with specified contribution matched by the Association;
· Anniversary flex day and gifts given to celebrate each year of employment;
· Program discounts;
· Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
· Leadership award opportunities;
· Scholarship opportunities;
· Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following;
· Bachelor of Physical Education, Kinesiology or related degree preferred
· Experience in a fitness or exercise related field as a personal trainer
· CSEP-Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) or CSEP-Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) certificate (CEP preferred) is preferred
· Must possess or be willing to obtain (within a 6 month period) Group Fitness certification in at least one specialty area (Group Strength, Older Adult, Aquatic Fitness, Cycle, Yoga, Cardio)
· Standard First Aid certification (valid within three years of certification date)
· CPR C certification (valid within one year of certification date)
· Evidence of a clear Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search
· Three professional references required
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
The Strength & Conditioning Instructor and Personal Trainer will:
· Provide excellent customer service by identifying the needs and wants of members/participants as a priority and responding in an effective and timely manner
· Aid in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs within the strength and conditioning centre
· Deliver wellness coaching and/or personal training and perform program and instructional duties as outlined by the Health & Fitness Supervisor
· Provide leadership and support for special events and workshops/presentation as outlined by the Health & Fitness Supervisor
· Show members how to use the cardio equipment and strength and conditioning machines
· Provide a strong presence on the strength and conditioning floor, engaging with and assisting members, answering questions, providing orientations and role modeling positive behaviours
· Encourage members to participate in “activity challenges/events” as offered
· Actively solicit members’ feedback regarding the YMCA and facilities
· Actively identify members who need an orientation program or follow-up
· Scan the environment and ensure the strength and conditioning center’s equipment is clean, in good repair, and that safety hazards are identified and removed
· Be available to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings, and weekends
· Complete YMCA Strength and Conditioning Instructor Certification (8 hours)
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
· Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview. This posting will close when a suitable candidate is found.
All applications are to be submitted online but for any position specific concerns or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.