Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our six health and wellness locations, six child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Day Camp Counsellor (Contract)
Start Date: March 16th, 2024
End Date: March 28th, 2024
*The successful candidate will be 16 years of age or older.
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
· Program discounts;
· Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
· Leadership award opportunities;
· Scholarship opportunities;
· Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
We strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
· Interest in working with children;
· Strong communication and teamwork skills
· Previous Day Camp or related experience preferred
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
· Evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
· Three professional references
· Availability on the weekend of March 16 for training
· Availability full-time from March 25 – March 28, weekdays
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
Duties and Responsibilities include;
· Provide a fun, safe, and healthy environment for children registered in YMCA Calgary Day Camps
· Provide proactive supervision and facilitate daily activities.
· Work alongside and collaborate with other Day Camp staff.
· Plan and implement all aspects of the daily schedule within the provided curriculum, including arts and crafts, active group activities and sports, traditional day camp games and other engaging activities, while encouraging camper participation.
· Enter the pool daily with campers; supervise weekly field trips and/or in-house experiences.
· Demonstrate and role model positive behavior when working with other staff, campers, and members.
· Follow YMCA Calgary Policies and Procedures.
· Provide first aid when required.
· Greet parents/guardians and campers on arrival and departure from camp. Providing extra assistance as needed.
· Attend mandatory staff training prior to the start of camp.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
· Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
All applications are to be submitted online but for any position specific concerns or questions, please email email@example.com