Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Engineer - Distribution Standards - Overhead Powerline Systems
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Annual Salary: $ 103,900.00 - 131,400.00
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
Distribution Standards has a challenging opportunity for a senior engineer; this position will provide expertise on distribution overhead powerline systems and will support the standard development work for non-linear analysis and climate change adaptations of BC Hydro’s distribution system.
Work will include:
* Developing BC Hydro construction and design standards for overhead distribution systems.
* Maintaining and updating BC Hydro’s distribution standard non-linear analysis files.
* Collaborating with telecommunication companies to develop shared standards.
* Supporting field trials of new standards.
* Providing subject matter expertise for resolution of location specific issues.
* Undergraduate or Post-Graduate Degree in Engineering (Electrical or Civil preferred; other relevant discipline may be considered) recognized by Canadian Universities and accredited by Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC).
* Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a Professional Engineer with EGBC.
* A minimum of eight years of relevant experience. Candidates with lesser experience may be considered.
* A demonstrated ability to lead through influence with proven facilitation and negotiation skills is an asset.
* Working knowledge of non-linear analysis software (PLS-CADD, SPIDAcalc, etc) in a distribution utility environment, considered an asset.
* The ability to investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, many of which are of a challenging and unusual nature.
* The ability to manage relationships and work closely with stakeholders to drive innovation, find engineering solutions that add value, and address competing interests at least life cycle cost.
* The ability to manage the successful delivery and implementation of projects through strong project management skills and a customer service attitude.
* Excellent ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in technical writing.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint).
* Commitment to learning and development demonstrated through ongoing development such as self-study, attendance at technical and soft skills courses, and participation in technical and professional societies.
* Demonstrated behavior that upholds a culture of safety.
You will receive:
- A comprehensive benefits package - A minimum of 15 paid vacation days
- A lifetime pension
- Flexible work model, depending on your role type
- Training and development courses
For more information on the benefits we offer, visit bchydro.com/benefits
* A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Class 5 Driver's License: In good standing.
* Applicants who do not meet the full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for a lower level position.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada V3N 4X8
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 22, 2024.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week