Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our six health and wellness locations, six child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Riveredge Counsellors (Contract)
Spring & Summer Session: April 22nd, 2024 - August 30th, 2024
Summer Session: June 24th, 2024 - August 30th, 2024
Salary: $130.00/day - $138.00/day
Due to Camping Association Standards, counsellors must be 16 years of age or older.
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
· Program discounts;
· Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
· Leadership award opportunities;
· Scholarship opportunities;
· Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
We strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
· Experience working with children to facilitate inclusion within outdoors-based programs;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification (CPR recertified within the last 12 months);
· Evidence of a clear Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search;
· Three professional references required
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
Riveredge Counsellors will:
· Provide a fun, safe, and healthy environment for all campers;
· Provide supervision to your designated group of campers at all times;
· Provide first aid care when necessary;
· Demonstrate and role model positive behavior and communication when working with other staff, campers and members;
· Attend mandatory staff training prior to camp and all future staff meetings, including a weekly evening meeting;
· Be willing and prepared to work in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions;
· Support group development and create a positive learning environment for all campers;
· Be flexible and willing to support the team throughout a busy season;
· Plan and facilitate intentional, developmentally appropriate play-based learning activities. This focuses on engagement in active play outside, both scheduled and creative activities;
· Support and lead activities at all program areas;
· Ensure a safe and clean environment that is in good repair;
· Professionally represent YMCA Calgary both internally and with the broader community;
· Follow all of YMCA Calgary Policies and Procedures.
When/ If a staff member is assigned to bike camp, there are additional expectations for this position:
· Own and be prepared to bring their own bike and helmet to work;
· Be confident riding a bicycle on roads and directing others;
· Have a working knowledge of bike maintenance (ex. brake tightening, puncture repair, putting a chain back on);
· Be confident with road way laws and be able to educate others on safe cycling procedures;
· Plan and assess off site trips for safety hazards and the best possible learning opportunities;
· Be aware that this position is limited, and the staff member may rotate through Riveredge day camp roles as well.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
· Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
For any questions, please email email@example.com.